Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Marco to Everglade City 2/7- 2/9/18

We left Marco near 10:00 AM after taking Abby for her walk or in my case for her bike ride. We headed out into the ocean because there is not really an intracoastal waterway.  Well there is one but its not very deep and the ocean was calm.  Our destination was the Rod and Gun Club in Everglade City and we had a nice calm ride down on a sunny day.

The Rod and Gun Club has a lot of history and has hosted many celebrities from presidents to Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall, Sally Fields and Burt Reynolds.  Read the history below.
What a fun History
The dock was quite and there was only one other boat for our first night.  The second night saw two other boats come in but they were ramping up for the weekend with their annual seafood festival and expecting 20,000 additional visitors for the weekend.  We will be long gone by then. The internet wasn't bad right at the Inn but they don't open until 11:00AM so I had a meeting for work that was held via Webex and I ended up sitting at a table on the veranda having my meeting.  The staff when they came in were very gracious and set up all of the tables around me but left me to my meeting.  About 10 people had been seated for lunch by the time it was finally over.

Debbie, Abby and I went out for lunch by bicycle.  We went over to Triad Seafood for lunch and I had the stone crab claws and they were delicious.
Great crab claws
Abby was a very good girl and lay under the table well we had our lunch. We rode around town after lunch and Abby got to meet lots of tourists.

The Rod and Gun has definitely seen better days but its still a neat place and I'm glad we went in to see it.

The interior is all Cypress wood and lots of dead animals
The bar area

An old victrola

The original front desk and cash register


Its very dark inside and no AC.  They no longer rent any rooms out in the main building but do have a couple of cottages for rent


I don't think these people have checked out yet and the truck was probably new when they arrived

















No comments:

Post a Comment