Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Engine Room work in Brewerton

Sunday as we started across Lake Oneida the starboard engine had quit.  I had thought about it a lot the night before and I was pretty sure it was fuel related.  I took off the supply line to the final filters and got Debbie to turn over the engine.  No fuel came out which indicated a failed fuel pump.  The nice thing about having twin engines is you can always test your theory on the engine that works.  The port engine pumped lots of fuel proving my theory.  I found a spare fuel pump in the lazerette and stated removing hoses and pipes to get at the old fuel pump.  I had to drain about 8 gallons of antifreeze out before I could remove one of the pipes and then work in a confined area trying to get three bolts out to remove the old pump.  Once out I found the pump had seized and sheared the coupler.  All the old parts came out with no missing pieces and after about two hours of fiddling to get the three bolts back in all that was left was to hook all the hoses back up and refill the antifreeze.  The engine started right up and we were back in business.  YEAH!!

Took a picture of the old one and the new one to be sure I put the fittings in the right place and the right orientation

After lunch I took the motorcycle down and rode in to pick up prescriptions and a new microwave that we had ordered at Lowe's after we blew the old one up in Waterford.  The prescriptions fit fine, the microwave in the box was going to be a a challenge to tie onto the bike.  One guy stopped and told me he would be happy to bring it up to the canal.  Still feeling like I could make this work I told him that if when he was finished his shopping and I was still there I would take him up on his offer.  I was still trying to tie it onto the back seat and a nice lady came over and told me that she and her husband would be glad to take it wherever I was going.  I accepted and they followed me for about ten miles back up to the boat. I was pretty sure I had detected a French accent and when I asked her en Francais where she was from she said Quebec City.  SO nice of them to help me out.  They got a chuckle when I told them the microwave was for the boat. Debbie and I installed the new microwave and then celebrated our success with margaritas
We were both beat after a day of hard work and bedtime came early

Nice to have spares aboard

No comments:

Post a Comment