Friday, July 21, 2017

Trenton ON 7/20/17

Yesterday afternoon when we arrived I drained all of the oil out of the motors in preparation for changing the filters and oil in the morning. Hot oil has all of the contaminants in suspension and I feel does a better job of getting them out of the engine.
 I made a breakfast of Pea-meal bacon and eggs with English muffins for my assistant and I.  After breakfast it was off to the engine room.  The oil filters on the Detroit motors are huge and hold over half a gallon of oil each and there are two per motor.  They are not located in the best of places and its very difficult to get them off without spilling oil all over the bilge.  Today was my best attempt yet and its getting better each time.  Debbie (one paw) helped by passing tools and mostly paper towels to clean up as we went along.  I remembered to take an oil sample from the port engine but blanked on the starboard engine.  Oh well next time...  I take the oil samples at each change and send them off top a lab to analyse so if there are any issues with the engines I will know and hopefully be able to prevent a major problem before the engine blows up.  Not a good thought in a boat. We finished up by 11:30.
We had made a date to have lunch with Kim Whitehead, Nancy Hagberg and Heather Macaulay at a restaurant in Trenton.  Yesterday Nancy and Kim had to cancel due to volunteer commitments and I texted Heather to see if we were still on.  She replied that yes we were and she would pick us up at 12:30 at the boat.  Heather got one of the dock hands to show her where we are and open the gates for her and surprised us on the boat.  We gave her a quick tour and then headed off for lunch.  The beautiful morning had clouded over and now it was raining and not so nice.  Lunch was great and we caught up with news after not having seen each other for 40 years or more.  Its funny to be able to just pick up where you left off and yet know the person you are talking too even though you haven't spoken in 40 years. Quite the story Heather. Enjoy yourself and we hope to catch up with you in Florida.
The lunch bunch.  Looking good Heather.


When I drink beer for lunch I have a really bad case of Lackawanna afterwards and today was no exception. We got back to the boat in full sunshine as the rain had passed and now it was hot and sunny.  Even worse case of Lackawanna now.  So what to do, have another beer and maybe it will go away.  I guess it did because I have now caught up on my blog work and its cocktail hour.  Life on a boat is tough you know.

1 comment:

  1. I imagine some of the stories had to include our trips to Mosport.
    Hopefully the weather will continue to improve for you guys.

    ReplyDelete