Friday, September 29, 2017

Paducah KY to Grand Rivers KY 9/29/17

We really enjoyed our stay in Paducah.  There were many town employees and council members that came down to say hi and also a TV crew that came down and interviewed some loopers for the 6 o'clock news.  I have done TV interviews before and never liked the way they edit what you have to say so I layed low and was not interviewed. We stayed long enough for most of the other boats to get off of the dock because we wanted to pump out, cause it's free.  We were visited this morning by the town manager and told him how much we appreciated the new town dock and also how much we enjoyed visiting their town.  Mother Ocean and Tyreless came in this morning and we chatted with them before we departed.

The pump out was going well and I finished the aft tank and went to get the forward tank.  The hose was a little short and when I hooked it up it came off in mid suction which causes the product to be sucked up the pipe and when it comes off it sprays all over the guy pumping.  So yes I was in shit this morning and had to have a shower and wash my clothes when I finished.  This is the second time this has ever happened to me and I still don't like it!!!

This is the junction of the Ohio and Cumberland Rivers.  Only another 950 miles to Pittsburgh if we stayed on the Ohio!!


We left around 11:00 and headed up the Ohio River for the Cumberland which leads to Kentucky Lake, our destination for the next week.  We were cruising along and making good time against the current.  Debbie read that we should call the lock and when we did the lock master said he was prepping the lock now for the PCs and if we could we should hustle our way up there.  We gunned her and made it to the lock just as the doors were opening and locked through with Getting Looped a Viking from Michigan.  Getting Looped called me on the radio and said he was low on fuel and would I mind if he went out first.  No problem and off he went.  Our reservation for Green turtle Resort was not until tomorrow and we were looking for a place to anchor when I saw Getting Looped head straight into Green Turtle.  I watched him and thought of calling on the radio but decided maybe he knew where he was going.   Well he didn't and he ran aground.  I called and asked if he needed help and he did so we anchored and launched the dingy to go help.  Mike introduced himself and we pushed the boat around and then back out into the channel with the dingy.  Hopefully everything is OK.

Lots of Gravel pits along the Cumberland

They even have a pulley system to move the barge back and forth


Debbie and I backtracked to near the lock and found a nice anchorage with a boat ramp and docks to take Abby for a walk.  Time for cocktails now and dinner.

We have finished watching all of the episodes of Homeland and just started Downton Abbey.  So far so good, I like it

Green Turtle Resort tomorrow for a week and I go off to Louisville to do a show for Quadco.  It will be fun to see the boys.

1 comment: